Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day One

I've been following a training program for Boise 70.3 for several weeks now. Instead of seeing improvement I've noticed mostly frustration, mostly because that is where I've put my focus. I'm sure I've had some improvement fitness wise. For my birthday Jim got me a Vo2 testing session with Mark Kendall from Speedshot Racing because I was getting increasingly frustrated with my poor running performance. I was so focused on my lack of running stamina, crazy heart rate and slow pace that I wasn't even paying attention to my lack of muscle, literally, on the bike. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. What I like is that Mark didn't pull any punches during the testing, he was nice about it, but he certainly made it clear where my inadequacies lie.

They lie in my legs.

I hired him on the spot to coach and put together a training program for me this the two months before the June 13 race day. The Vo2 testing was last Thursday and I've been waiting with bated breath to get the email from Mark with my training schedule for this week/month. It was just delivered to my in box. I haven't read it yet. I might be a bit scared to look at it. I might be in a bit over my head. I may have put the cart before the horse. I may have agreed to give up my daily Starbucks to pay for his coaching for naught. Then again I may have made the best decision ever. I'm ready.

I still can't look.

No comments:

Post a Comment